Many people rely on the ocean for their livelihood. Fishing, transportation, and offshore mining are just a few examples of the various industries the ocean provides. When workers are on the water or in an area connected with their job like a dock, they could sustain injuries if someone acts negligently. There are options available to get justice. If you or a loved one was harmed due to negligence on a vessel, a San Pedro maritime accident lawyer can help you with your claim.
Whether you were a maritime passenger or a maritime worker, you deserve to have someone protect your rights. These cases can be complicated and it’s important to know the laws that apply to your claim. Our lawyers have years of experience fighting for those who suffered maritime injuries. Frost Law Firm, PC will help you move forward.
What Are the Common Types of Maritime Accidents?
When you’re a maritime passenger, you expect those in charge of the watercraft to get you to your destination safely. As a maritime worker, you expect to have safety protocols in place so you can do your job safely. Unfortunately, negligence can harm both passengers and workers. Some of those accidents may be one of the following:
- Cruise Ship Accidents. These large ships require a lot of work to be run safely. In an accident, both workers and passengers can be severely hurt.
- Boat Accidents. Yachts, ferries, and other kinds of boats can be involved in accidents when speeding, drunk operating, or other forms of negligence occur.
- Grounding. Running aground occurs when the bottom of the ship hits the bottom of the ocean. This can lead to injuries that cause people to fall or potentially fall overboard. The accident could also cause leaks in the boat.
- Commercial Fishing Accidents. Those working on fishing vessels may be harmed in accidents when there are issues with training, experience, and the equipment.
- Oil Rig Accidents. Off-shore oil rig accidents can cause devastating injuries to those on the rig and also harm the environment. If you were hurt in an oil rig accident, our lawyers are here for you.
- Dock Accidents. Safety doesn’t only apply when people are on a vessel. There can be issues with loading/unloading vessels, docks may also not be structurally sound and can break, or going between the dock and the vessel can also lead to accidents.
- Falls/Overboard Falls. Falls can occur on ships and on docks, but when people fall overboard, they’re also in danger of drowning.
- Defective Equipment Accidents. If a worker is using equipment on ship or dock and the equipment malfunctions or is defective, then those around the equipment could be severely hurt.
If you were hurt in one of the accidents above, our lawyers are here to help. Even if you do not recognize one of the accidents above, we can go over what happened to you. If your accident falls under maritime law, a San Pedro maritime accident lawyer from our law firm can help you recover compensation for your injuries.
How Severe Are Maritime Injuries?
The severity of maritime injuries can potentially have permanent consequences. They may affect your ability to work for some time or you may not be able to return to your job. Maritime injuries can include the following:
- Brain Injuries. A traumatic brain injury can occur when the head is jolted or bumped in any way. If an object hits a person’s head or they fall and hit their head on the ground, they could sustain brain injuries.
- Spinal Injuries. Falls can also harm a maritime worker or passenger’s back. If the injury is severe enough, it could result in paralysis.
- Burns. If something explodes or starts a fire, then burn injuries can occur.
- Crush Injuries. Many maritime workers may be surrounded with heavy equipment. If there’s an issue with the equipment, a worker could be caught in-between the machinery and it could result in a crush injury.
- Toxic Exposure. Exposure to chemicals and other hazardous materials could occur in a maritime worker’s career. In some cases, they may have been exposed to asbestos and developed mesothelioma. If this is the case, our lawyers can help you get justice.
- Repetitive Motion Injuries. Maritime workers may do the same motions over and over during their day. If they do not have regular breaks, this can cause these types of stress injuries to occur.
- Broken Bones. Falling, getting caught by machinery, or other accidents can result in broken bones. This could temporarily prevent someone from being able to do their job.
- Loss of Limb. Amputation can occur from an accident or there can be severe nerve damage where a surgeon would need to amputate the limb.
When these types of injuries have occurred, you need someone who will fight for you. The maritime accident lawyers at Frost Law Firm, PC understand how these painful injuries can cause financial stress. If you provide for others and you’re unable to go to work, you may wonder how you’re going to keep up with regular bills and food costs, let alone getting the medical care you need. That’s where we come in. Let’s look into how we can help you.
An Experienced San Pedro Maritime Accident Lawyer Can Help
When you have a lawyer advocating for you, we’ll always protect your best interests. We’ll launch a full investigation to find out how your accident occurred, who was at fault, how you were hurt, and how your injuries will affect your future.
Once we’ve calculated the total losses that you’ve suffered, we’ll build a case to show that your injuries were a result of an accident that wasn’t your fault. We’ll fight for your compensation to cover medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earnings or diminished earning capacity, and pain and suffering.
Your lawyer will know the laws that apply to your case and how to maximize your compensation. For example, the Jones Act states that if a seaman is injured during their employment, then they can have a personal representative come forward with a civil action to recover injuries and damages. However, the Jones Act may not apply to your case. In some other situations, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act may apply, which covers employees like longshore workers, ship-repairers, shipbuilders, and more. We’ll make sure your claim is filed properly.
Reach Out to Our Law Firm
While the consequences of a maritime accident can be severe, the attorneys at Frost Law Firm, PC are here to help you get the compensation you deserve so you can recover. We’ll be at your side through the legal process at every step and make sure your rights are protected. Contact us today so we can get started on your claim.